Box Hill School was founded in 1959 by Roy McComish, and is a founder member of Round Square, a world-wide association of schools which believe in preparing young people for life by facing it directly within a supportive but challenging school environment.
Since its foundation, Box Hill School has only had four Headmasters, including our current Head, Mr Lowde – all of whom have put their own mark on our tight-knit and welcoming community.
In the early days of the school, a number of the (now replaced) buildings were built by our students – an early example of our ‘have a go’ ethos.
Our main school building, Dalewood House, was built in 1883. Designed by Victorian architect John Norton, its first owner was David Evans, chairman of Evans and Co and one of the 19th century’s pre-eminent silk printers. The house is both mock Tudor and Gothic in style, and fine wood panelling, fireplaces, hand painted tiles and themed stained glass windows are a feature throughout. The house was in private ownership until 1939 when it was requisitioned during the war.
|Main Reception||Reading Room||Library|